By: Stephen Sidwell
Nexii Chief Executive Officer
As we close out 2021, we do so with a sense of gratitude for our team, investors, partners, and customers. Through our relationships with you, we exceeded all expectations.
We achieved milestones that were both part of – and well above – our annual goals. Whether expanding our team and operations, gaining outstanding recognition for our work, or collaborating with world-class partners – 2021 has been an incredible year that we are so thankful for.
One of our biggest 2021 highlights centers on the partnerships we’ve built that directly support our mission to build a vibrant future for people and the planet. This spans:
- our work with global brands via our Integrated Technology Partner program
- new project builds with Developers willing to try something new and use Nexii products for sustainable buildings
- alignment with local businesses joining the move to green and developing Nexii Certified Manufacturer plants across North America
- working with Brand Ambassadors amplifying the importance of addressing buildings’ climate impacts
With so many people and organizations helping to make the Nexii mission a reality, we wanted to take a moment and highlight a few standouts as we head into our next monumental year.
Future Ready Total Building Solution
One of the most exciting achievements this year was forging relationships with breakthrough products and services that support our goal of transforming the building and construction industry to be more efficient and sustainable. A key to this strategy is working with incredibly innovative companies equally dedicated to reducing the effects of climate pollution. The approach combines Nexii’s expertise in high-performance and efficient building systems with technologies and services offered by innovators in all aspects of green building solutions.
A few of our strategic alliances include:
- Honeywell – named as our exclusive building technology supplier for new buildings constructed by Nexii;
- Trane Technologies – we will combine Nexii’s high-performance and efficient building construction expertise with Trane’s digitally enabled EcoWise high-efficiency climate comfort systems to reduce energy usage and carbon emissions;
- Siemens – Siemens’ digital power distribution solutions and eVehicle charging equipment will be integrated with our high-performance green building products.
We are thrilled to be working with these companies to further improve Nexii sustainable building options for clients. In 2022, we will continue expanding these relationships to include more technologies and broader offerings for our stakeholders to access industry-leading, innovative building solutions.
As our company has scaled up, we completed or initiated a wide range of construction projects in 2021. In the Spring, we delivered the building envelope on a new Popeyes® restaurant, located in Abbottsford, B.C., in less than two weeks, supporting the Popeyes brand’s rapid growth and construction in Canada.
This project was developed with the incredible Esposito Group who also used Nexii’s building technology on a Scotiabank in the Summer, and our first-of-its-kind Starbucks café constructed in late 2020. And we look forward to announcing our next Starbucks project in 2022!
In June, we announced our partnership with PEG companies to deliver the exterior building envelope for the Courtyard by Marriott hotel in Nanaimo, B.C., that is currently in construction. This new project is slated for opening late 2022, so stay tuned for more on the completion of this exciting new hotel.
Nexii Certified Manufacturers
To address the ever-increasing demand for green construction materials across North America, we significantly expanded manufacturing capabilities in 2021 to help meet this need. In addition to the two corporate plants operational in Canada, we have developed a model where we work with licensees – Nexii Certified Manufacturers (NCMs) – to open additional plants across the U.S. and Canada.
The first NCM plant in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, commenced operations in October 2021, with a grand opening slated for January 2022. Other North American NCMs are at various stages of development with plans to open in 2022 and beyond.
We’re proud of the NCM model that brings manufacturing facilities closer to the communities they support, creating hundreds of new green jobs along the way.
In 2021 we formed partnerships with Nexii Ambassadors – individuals committed to our vision to build a vibrant future for people and the planet. Each Ambassador works with us in different ways, supporting greater opportunities for their communities by investing in green jobs, advancement in sustainable construction, and promoting tangible solutions to climate impacts.
- In April, we announced a partnership with actor and Pittsburgh native Michael Keaton, who will have an ownership stake and play an active role in Nexii’s upcoming Pittsburgh manufacturing plant.
- World-renowned architect Jason F. McLennan was appointed Nexii impact architect, helping to spread the word and expand future design plans for Nexii.
- Super Bowl MVP quarterback Joe Flacco partnered with us to open Pennsylvania’s first green manufacturing plant in Hazleton
We are honoured to work with all our Ambassadors who are part of our team driving benefits for people, communities and the planet.
Partnerships and relationships have formed the basis of the growth we experienced in 2021. Without these alliances, we would not be where we are today. In my next blog, I’ll highlight Nexii’s 2021 key growth milestones, and recognize our incredible team helping to make all this happen.